Thursday, February 5, 2009

I can never possess you!


This morning, I woke up missing the object of my affection. My powerlessness came to my mind on wishing he were near me at that moment. First of all, I’m sure he’d be with me if he could be. Sometimes circumstances of work or other obligations separate people. Second, he has free will. People are usually exactly where they want to be at any particular moment in their lives. Lastly, I have no way of controlling where he or anyone else is. As selfish as I am, I never can determine anyone else’s fate or existence.


So, when someone says “I’m yours" or "You’re mine,” as sweet and interesting it may sound, it doesn’t go much further than that. It really isn’t so.


If we are lucky, we belong to ourselves and have some say in our daily lives and ultimately our fate. Most people are victims of other circumstances outside of them, where they were born, how and what has happened to them along the way. As a child of a family of non-conformers, I was told I had power over my own destiny and could create my own lot in the world. My parents also warned me of the pitfalls of certain mistakes and errors in judgment which automatically destroy those possibilities in life. They taught me to observe and learn about life to avoid many mistakes and attempt to live wisely. I’m glad I listened.


It was also my father who told me that once you have a child, it isn’t really yours anymore. “Children don’t belong to their parents, they belong to the world. A parent’s job is merely to raise them and teach them how to live.” I am not a parent, so what I understood was the pain in my father’s powerlessness and realized it was true of all relationships. We really have no say in anything, do we? We can only love and support each other and hope the feelings and commitment are returned.


Instead of sadness, I felt joy at the idea. It is actually liberating to feel what you feel regardless of the outcome and let the chips fall where they may!!


No comments: