Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Doubt is the enemy of peace of mind


The other night I had a compelling conversation with a new friend about doubt not having a place in any type of relationship. If trust is the solid foundation of what we build in either a personal or business relationship, then doubt destroys the very core of its existence. Unfortunately, in a challenged economy as we are facing, the lines of trust are being trampled by desperation. It must be stopped. It must not be tolerated. Integrity must be defended at all costs for the protection of our businesses and the fabric of our daily lives as solid individuals.

What I wonder is why certain people are risking solid relationships on a quick fix or temporary solution? If I’ve been your well paid customer for a certain established amount of time, why jeopardize it? Is it worth the long term loss?

These are times when clear communication and steadfastness are crucial to the survival and health of all existing relationships. It is one of the determining factors of who will survive or perish when tough choices must be made. This is where value comes in and it would be naïve to believe that value of cost is not directly linked to personal values.

In that respect, it follows through on the personal value and integrity of an individual. Do you create doubt or insecurity in your personal relationships? If so, why? What is the aim or goal behind it? Are you aware of how the personal aspects of your character override into your professional life? Well, it does like it or not. What determines whether an individual works with you or not is also based on what they perceive about your person and if they like you or not. People do business with people they like sometimes regardless of their skills. People do repeat and refer business with people they trust, depending on how you have treated them in the past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Annie, you are something...I love your writing. It reminds me to step back, take a look at the big picture, and ask "what is really important?"

Trust and respect have certainly come into the forefront this week, and it reminds me of when I was a teenager. At that time, I almost always disagreed with my parents, about my curfew, my friends, my activities...but I never stopped respecting them. And they never stopped trusting me. :)

Anyway all I'm trying to convey is that I believe respectful disagreement is not such a bad thing, it stimulates discussion and exchange. It's only when people jump to conclusions and start slinging mud, that's the bit that's not so cool.