Sunday, July 10, 2011

Making A Difference

Life has blessed me with the immense opportunity and privilege to have made a difference in many young lives. My career in education started in the late 1980s and spanned until a year or so ago. I taught hundreds of children how to bring literature to life, write whimsical tales and read fluently. However, the most important thing I taught anyone was compassion and self respect. That was relayed upon these young minds through example and storytelling. It came across through my simply loving them and listening to their stories. It reached their hearts through how I'd look at them and greet them in the morning. It stayed with them because it was sincere and heartfelt.

That skill and open heartedness permeated my life and way of being. It was like a Zen practice and just became the way I interact with people. Upon meeting me, most people feel it. It is a warm understanding and appreciation of another person's being. It is rooted in my own understanding and acceptance of me.

Fortunately, I was given the opportunity to travel around the country and spread this method of teaching to many school districts and teachers. As I was teaching them how to use innovative technologies and software, I also taught them teaching strategies that inspire both children and adults alike. I spoke very openly about compassion. Technology is just an excuse, I'd tell them.

Basically, I truly believe that the best way to make a difference is to live according to your beliefs. Live with conviction, principals and integrity...it doesn't have to be exposed or berated. Just live the example and live the dream.

This type of attitude permeates your life and instantly influences others. There is no escaping it.

No comments: