Saturday, May 28, 2011

Balancing the Teacher and Student Within...

We are all both teachers and students throughout our lives. Sometimes we teach a lesson, sometimes we learn, most times we do a little of each. I am a veteran of sales and business, yet I always learn from my colleagues. I especially love learning from younger people. Their ideas are fresh and new with an enthusiasm that many older people might lack. I enjoy new ideas immensely and it refreshes my own approach towards what I do.

Recently, I was told I was being humble as I listened to a young speaker. Well, I was busy learning. How many times does it take to practice a new tune on a piano? Why should I believe I know everything? Are there ever enough times you can hear the truth or a new perspective on something that you do daily? Who is to say I have all the answers?

Yes, I have been a teacher for many. The best thing I can offer my students is my love of learning. I want to learn something-new everyday until I breathe my last breath. The most exciting part of my day is when I am surprised at a new discovery. I love the unexpected, because it has a new twist in my life's outcome.

The best relationship in business as well as one's personal life is where there is give and take. Roles change according to what strengths each person brings to the table. It is regenerative in nature because it is always evolving. Like in dancing, each dancer takes the lead at a different point in time. Or in an orchestration, each instrument has a solo or prominent role for a while so we can enjoy the splendid sound it gives.

Find someone in your life you can teach something special to. Choose a strength or talent you possess and share it freely. Then, find someone who has a talent or skill you wish to learn and be that person's student. The ideal outcome is if both activities can be with the same person. Either way, experiment with being both a teacher and student in the next week.

No comments: